Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ya Gotta Love Apple Pie!


Did you know that today is National Apple Pie Day? Well, in the course of surfing the net, I just found this out, and you just can't ignore something that is as symbolic of our great country as the American bald eagle, and baseball!.. So, I thought I would direct you to a few interesting links I came across.

I like to can my own apple pie filling. HERE, they'll show you how!

It won't be long before I know I'm going to want to try THESE on some hot summer night! (make sure you scroll down far enough to see this sweet little summer beverage!)

Next, if any sewers are interested, I know I'd like to try out this quilt block, if not for a quilt, then at least for a few very pretty potholders! In fact I think I'd like to make these up, along with some crocheted ones of course, for Christmas gifts!

I'll be busy today sewing up a couple of Raggedy Annie dolls, and just starting my second 8-pocket tote; but all this apple pie sounds so good, I just may have to make one! Should any of my friends in Blogland think to do the same, I just HAD to include this video, so Hattie can show you how it's done! I absolutely ADORE Hattie McDaniel in everything I've seen her play! Whenever I'm rolling out a pie crust for one thing or another, I can't help but think of this song. I have fun trying, but I'll never sound as good as Hattie when she sings it!

16 comments:

Ghost said...

Great post but right now I am so sick of apples and apple pie.

Beansieleigh said...

Oh dear, Ghost! I hear Chocolate Chip day is not far away. Will that make ya feel better? Cookies ALWAYS make ME happy! (0;

Shana said...

that was a great post! I love Hattie! Have a wonderful day and God Bless you!

Beansieleigh said...

Tell me, Shana... Is the song stuck in your head now? I LOVE it, but it's been on the brain all day! I just got done making dinner substituting SEVERAL things in the recipe!.. I sure hope the kids want MY cookin' again, after they get done eating THIS! It LOOKS good... We'll see! LOL! (0;

Faith said...

Hi, if you would send me the post again...with that information...I was unable to do anything with it...for some reason...maybe I should put my glasses on....looking into the apple pie mmmmmmmm!

Faith

Beansieleigh said...

Faith, I'm a little confused. Do you mean my last comment??... or the link for the tote?

Shana said...

You cracked me up with the badbeansie comment on my post! Thanks for stopping by and have a great day. By the way, it is ok that you saw your prizes and I hope you like them! I know I had fun making them.

Beansieleigh said...

Thanks Shana!.. and whenever you have a suggestion for a great book to read, please let me know!

Shana said...

hey that is a great idea about the book club thing! let me think on that and maybe I can come up with something. After all I LOVE books so I should be able to come up with something since I own like 600 or so. No that is not an exaggeration and believe it or not I gave away 8 boxes of books and kept the ones I just couldn't part with...lol. I am going to try to figure out a way to do this. thanks for the suggestion!

maidenshade said...

Hi sweet lady! Love your post today. Apple pie, yuuuummmmy.
xJ

MaidenShade.wordpress.com
MaidenShade.com

Beansieleigh said...

J-maidenshade.. Hi! Yes, I only wish I had found the time to MAKE ONE!! Unfortunately, I never did, but I'm trying to make up for that by making Chocolate Chip Cookies tonight! Dear Son is feeling happy enough about that! I have all I can do to keep him out of the batter so that I can actually BAKE SOME!! (0; Thanks for stopping by!

Simone said...

A day to celebrate apple pie! That's worth celebrating! I love the You Tube video, the rolling pin is HUGE!!!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Simone!... The big rolling pin?.. I guess nobody better cross her, or look at her cross-eyed.. Not with THAT in her hand, huh?! Hmmm, whether you bake or not, maybe it's something every woman should have in the household!! (0;

Lynn said...

I was a little worried that she might chop off her fingers when she was trimming the top crust off!
Cooking is dangerous!

Tell me about your name.

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lynn!... Well, just look at that pie crust anyways!! I LOVE to bake, but as I admit making pie crust is not my favorite pastime, I must say MY pie crust NEVER looked like this! Now, I'm wondering if some little Suzie Homemakers were somewhere on the set making it instead, of course; but Hattie makes it look like it's the easiest thing in the world to just slap a pie together!!.. Unless she really did possess such a talent, I guess it should come as no surprise that a great actress like herself SHOULD be able to fool you into thinking she did!!!

Beansieleigh said...

OH!!.. And Lynn... Beansie is of course a nickname, that my mother would call me, and when I see her, still does. Being new to the blogging world, I simply refer to myself as Beansie for the sake of anonymity, or at least SOME degree of privacy. I have seen many bloggers apparently feeling quite comfortable posting all kinds of info, photos, names, etc., but I just can't say that I do.