Friday, May 8, 2009

Winkin' Blinkin' & Pinkin'

Happy Pink Saturday!It's Pink Saturday, and just in the knick of time, I'm ready to show you some more of my pinks for the week! First I can't wait another minute to show you the Eight Pocket Tote Bag! You can find the pattern HERE. I just finished this! I have wanted to try this one for a long time now, but Pam, from Scotty's Place, asked (or was it "dared") me to join her for this little crochet-along. I hesitated, worrying how long this would take, but still I wanted to try it. I chose acrylic yarn, instead of cotton, as I was hoping there would be less stretch; and frankly, I try to keep my costs down as I try to budget for other more important expenses.. (such as in Paragraph 4 of this post!)

The main color I used here was Light Raspberry, by Redheart. I did make a lining for the purse, and even challenged myself into making a pocket IN the lining itself!.. So now it's really a 9-Pocket Tote! Anyway, if you are interested, you can get this and several other helpful tutorials HERE. For the straps, I like to sew grossgrain ribbon to the backside/inside of each, for added strength and less stretch. Of course the closer you can match your colors, the better. You can see the ribbon inside these straps in this photo to the left. I hand-sewed these ribbons in, so this certainly added to my time invested! As I was finishing the bag with some floral embellishment, I had fun going through my grandmother's old buttons, looking to find just the right ones!.. Hmm.. I keep thinking, one of these days I'm going to try some button jewelry!

I like that this bag feels sturdy, the stitching is beautiful, and it is just the size I need for an everyday purse! I don't leave home without ANYTHING, so I like a good size bag! But now, having finished it, I must say that I also enjoyed getting to know Pam better, as we crocheted, or asked each other questions about the pattern, or materials, or whatever.. She even talked me into trying my first moon pie (by Little Debbie's). Sure enough, I liked them! In fact, I liked them so much, it will be a very good thing when the box runs out! I should be finding something healthier to eat for breakfast than a moon pie!.. Well, anyways, Pam is plugging away with her bag, and is getting very near to done too! You'll want to check hers out! She has picked out a beautiful shade of aqua! Despite the fair amount of time it takes to make these, she and I both are so happy with them, we are already both considering making second ones!

Well, I have to tell you, I'm in big trouble now. An absolutely darling little antique shop just opened up close by to me; and the inventory she has, along with the charming set up she's made of the place could quite possibly land me in the poor house!!.. Oh, but it would be the cutest little poor house on the block! It turned out that the owner knew one of my cousins very well, so you see, we are practically family already! Maybe I'll get a discount! (winkin'.. ha! ha!) Well, I was in a hurry that day, so after talking to her, I certainly couldn't leave empty-handed! I still managed to quick grab this cute little PINK depression glass salt-n-pepper set before I left. They're just a reproduction of the real glass, but who cares! I just loved them! Now, I ask you.. HOW in this world am I ever going to be able to just walk past this store again? It will be like walking by the shoe store! I will HAVE to go in!!

Last week my daughter had a birthday. She's a big girl now, in college and following her dreams! Yes, of course, it's hard to believe.. I remember, from the time she was a baby, she's had a Cookie Monster cake, a Barbie cake, a Beauty and the Beast cake, etc, etc, etc,.. But then it occurred to me, that she had never had a Princess cake!

Did I worry she would think she's too old for one? Ha! You don't know my daughter! She LOVED it! Think I'm kidding? She had a party to go to later that night, and in the blink of an eye, she scooped that crown up off the cake, cleaned it up, and placed it on her head as she was on her way out the door!.. Nope, I can't say I foresee her outgrowing this princess phase any time too soon!

Finally, one of my favorite snacks, aside from moon pies of course, are strawberry sugar wafers! Hey! Wait a minute!.. What's going on here?!!.. I hope these trolls aren't trying to eat them all up! Those sure look like some guilty smiles to ME!!

26 comments:

Marie Reed said...

Wow! 9 pockets! It's so practical, versatile, andd CUTE!Happy PS!

Ghost said...

the post is great, the bag? Well that is even better.

Mimi said...

How absolutely wonderful! Beverly sure knew what she was doing when she created a place for all of us "pinkies" to congregate and share our "pinkness".

Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you find yourself surrounded by those you love, good food, and a gentle peace in your ♥. We don't need to be a mother to know a mother's life. After all we all started out with a mom, didn't we?☺

Faith said...

You are are crankin out the crochet girl....
oooooooooh the bag is really pretty...my kind of colors...if I EVER get this bear done.....the pink bottles are really pretty to such a soft pink... Have a very lovely Mothers Day....looking forward to the next project...your so creative....I have communicated with Pam too...very nice lady and she makes pretty things too....the moon pies? I'm still out on that one...my husband likes them...I can't warm up to them for some reason...

Faith

Cathy said...

Have fun shopping in the new Shop around the Corner. Just love the Pink Depression S&P Shakers, good choice.

xo Cath

Betty (picture circa 1954) said...

That bag is great! I've tried so many times to crochet with little success, so I'm very impressed with your work. Great assortment of pinks!

fairiemoon said...

What a lovely bag you've made for yourself!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Erin :)

http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/fairiemoon/

someplace in thyme said...

You must really have that needle going!!! Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Mothers Day too, Char

Mrs. Katie Picciottoli said...

Thanks for the comment on my post - It's funny; I love love love poppies but I, too, always think of Wizard of Oz every single time I see them!! I really like the salt and pepper shakers you posted - they are so unusual! Have a Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Mother's Day too!

Katie

Marina Capano said...

fun pikness! Happy Pink Saturday, and a very Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Pink Saturday Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

Faith said...

I have a lot of hodge podge yarn left over from the hexy blanket..not enough though to do this project right now...except for some
super soft red heart...I think it is called..it is a softer yarn. Do you think this would be a good yarn, or should it be a stiffer yarn...the directions called for a cotton yarn..what'cha think about a varigated multi color? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Pam said...

Oh wow, Beansie! Your tote bag is beautiful! I'm working on finishing mine up this morning. It's taking a lot of time to sew this buggar together. I've also got to take a break and go get some of that grossgrain ribbon for my straps before I sew them on, so that will be a little delay. But I will DEFINITELY have it finished and a picture posted later today! I'm excited!

I was a little leery of the crochet flowers, but yours really look gorgeous and add a lot to it! I guess I'm going to have to crochet some too. Did you use the pattern you sent me for the big flower? It really looks great the way you layered the colors.

Just FABULOUS, girlfriend!

Lynn said...

Does smoke come out of your needles when you crochet? I am in awe. I can only crochet one long string! Can't turn around...
I love the purse. It's adorable! I'll bet people stop you when you carry it, and admire it.

Beansieleigh said...

To Pam & Lynn.. These bags definitely take a fair amount of time; but by the time you've finished one, you feel like you now have actually made and possess the "Kathy Van Zeeland" or "Prada" of all Crochet Handbags!!

Lynn, don't give up.. Keep trying!
Pam, About the flower, check your email!
To EVERYBODY, Thank you so much for the compliments on my tote, AND the positive feedback on my little salt-n-pepper purchase too! (0;

Beansieleigh said...

Faith.. I, myself, would not use a softer yarn for this bag. Pam used a cotton yarn for this project, so I would ask her for her opinion on that. I feel happy with the Redheart Supersaver acrylic yarn I used. I did however find it necessary to add a heavy interfacing with the lining of the bag. I have read that other girls used plastic canvas for their bags to firm it up a bit... but I don't like how plastic canvas ages and cracks over time, and I've worked long and hard enough on this to prefer it lasts as long as possible! (0;

Deanna said...

What a wonderful tote! I've started up my crocheting but I don't think I'm advanced enough to try this...lol!

Many congratulation on your one year anniversary of being tobacco free!

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday
Deanna :D

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Beautiful pinkness today! And your daughter is soooo lucky to have a pink princess cake complete with crown!! Happy Bday to her!!

Happy PS & Happy Mother's Day!

Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Jorgelina said...

What a lovely bag .
Happy Mother's Day!!!
Happy pink saturday!!

oceankisses said...

Your tote turned out to be so cute! I just love it!

Sit-N-Chat said...

I think my first attempt did not take... I love the tote but think it's too pretty to sit on the floor. I am always tossing my tote on the floor. All the pinks are so lovely. My daughter is grown also but believe it or not -- her birthday this year, her 28th, was Princess and Pirates. She wore a tiara AND an eye patch! They know how to have fun.

Jennifer

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I applaud your daughter for wearing her Princess crown. :) Happy belated Pink Saturday and a lovely Mother's Day. ~ Lynn

Leann said...

What a great bag! And ohh those troll dolls - too funny!

Have a great day!
Leann

Charlene said...

Thanks for sharing the PINK!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Great bag, but I am just loving those pink haired troll dolls.

Robin said...

Love all your pinks....
Your tote bag (and flip flops) turned out fabulous.

Have a beautiful week