Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cross My Heart & Kiss My Elbow!

Oh, it can't be Monday! It's too gruesome! Well, I won't let it get me down. I'll just pretend I'm at Tiffany's. Nothing bad could ever happen to you in a place like Tiffany's!
One of my very favorite movies is Breakfast At Tiffany's. Based on a novel by Truman Capote, this 1961 movie stars Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly. Audrey always felt as though she was miscast for this character, but it was one of her most memorable roles ever!

She was born on May 4th, 1929, so I wanted to pay tribute today! A true film and fashion icon, she starred in 31 top quality films. Known for such style and elegance, she was quoted as saying, "My look is attainable. Women can look like Audrey Hepburn by flipping out their hair, buying large sunglasses and little sleeveless dresses.".. Oh, but if you ask me, you have to peek from behind those sunglasses just so, to really try to carry off that Audrey Hepburn look, don't you think?!

In fond memory, I wanted to make a doll dressed in that little black dress and hat she wore when she first let Paul (or Fred.. or Fred Baby!) into her apartment, just before she was running on her way to visit Sally Tomato at the prison! So here she is! I love this outfit in the movie, and I've crocheted it for an 11 1/2" fashion doll. Cross my heart and kiss my elbow, I'm going to share the pattern today!

Holly Golightly Doll Dress & Hat: (to fit 11 1/2" fashion doll)
This is what Holly dresses into as she meets Fred & then visits Sally.
In memory of Audrey Hepburn, starring in "Breakfast At Tiffany's"
Pattern (c) Written by Beansieleigh (TS), May 4, 2009

Materials Needed:

11 1/2" fashion doll
Small amounts of 4-ply yarn, black; and fun fur in black
One snap, with black thread and sewing needle
Approximately 15" of very thin, lightweight 1/2" ribbon or fabric, for the long, flowing scarf around Holly's hat.
Size F crochet hook
Yarn needle for weaving ends of yarns

Skill Level: Easy!

Gauge: 4 sc = approximately 1"

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc dec = single crochet decrease
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch
FLO = Front Loops Only

Instructions:
Dress:

Row 1: Ch 23, sc in each ch across. (22 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 2-3: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 4: Sc in 6 st, sc dec, sc in 6 st, sc dec, sc in last 6 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 5: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 6: Sc in 5 st, sc dec, sc in 6 st, sc dec, sc in last 5 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 7: Sc in 5 st, sc dec, sc in next 4 st, sc dec, sc in last 5 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 8: In FLO, *sc in 3 st, 2 sc in the next st* across. Join with a sl st to the first st, making sure unused loops are on the INSIDE of the dress. From here, you are now crocheting in rounds.

Rnd 1-4: Crocheting in both loops again, ch 1, sc in each st aound. Join round with a sl st. (20 sc)

Rnd 5: Sl st into the next st, ch 1, sc in same st and in each st around. (20 sc)

Rnd 6-10: Ch 1, sc in each st around.

Rnd 11: Turn piece so that the wrongside/inside of the dress is now facing you, and attach fun fur, so that you will now be crocheting with both yarns at the same time. Ch 1, sc in each st around.

Rnd 12 -14: Ch 1, sc in each st around. Fasten off, and weave in ends.

With black thread, sew snap at the top opening of the back of the dress.
For straps, counting 9 st from the each end of the top row (from the snaps), attach black yarn (now at the front), where here you will chain 11 from each of those stitches, thus making each strap of the dress. Sl st each end of these chains to the second st in from each end (again, by the snaps) of the first top row of dress, to attach straps to the back of the dress. Fasten off these yarns and weave in ends.

Hat:
Rnd 1: Ch 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each st around.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in same st, 2 sc in next st. *Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st* around.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st. *Sc in 2 st, 2 sc in next st * around.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, sc in each st around. (24 sc)

Rnd 6: Ch 1, *sc in 2 st, sc dec* around.

Rnd 7: Ch 1, in FLO, *sc in first st, 2 sc in next st* around.

Rnd 8: Working in both loops again, ch 1, *sc in next 2 st, 2 sc in next st* around.

Rnd 9: Ch 1, sc in each st around. (36 sc) Fasten off, and weave in end. Tie your 15" x 1/2" ribbon or fabric for the scarf around the hat, as shown in photo.

I hope you had fun with my tribute and doll pattern! If you haven't seen it yet, then rent it, or buy it. Just be sure to watch this movie!

10 comments:

Ghost said...

I love that movie too, and Truman is one of my favorite authors and people. the dress is adorable, thanks for the pattern. Oh, and I too love granny squares.

Beansieleigh said...

Thanks Ghost!.. But ya know?... I have never read anything by him yet! I think I should put that on my "to do list"!!

Beverooni said...

That is one of my favorite movies too. Perfect tribute. Such a cute dress and thanks for the pattern.

Beansieleigh said...

Thanks Bev! I've got another Audrey Hepburn doll I'd like to do, but at the rate I'm going here, it might have to wait till NEXT May! (0;

shana0923 said...

Just had to say I loved your title and thanks for stopping in at my blog and wishing my son well!

Beansieleigh said...

Hey Shana! Thanks.. Loved your pink granny square comfortghan!.. and all your cute Easter photos!

I am crossing my fingers to win your photo contest!.. Thanks for stopping by!

Lynn said...

I am so impressed! I think crochet directions look like Chinese!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lynn! Thanks! I have a friend who said she felt that crochet directions made her feel stupid. She is NOT stupid, and I set her straight on that! I think it's accurate to say that the more experienced you are with crochet, then of course the easier crochet patterns are to understand... But still even the best crocheter out there can still have trouble; and of course, there is always the possibility of human error when the pattern is written. Boy, I know how frustrating THAT can be, when I'm the one following somebody else's pattern, so I do hope that if anyone finds an error in MY patterns, please DO let me know, and I will fix it in a hurry!

crochetsew said...

this was a great treat. I just loved that movie and Audrey Hepburn was such a lovely person You have really hit the nail on the head. crochetsew

Beansieleigh said...

To crochetsew.. Hi! I'm so happy to hear you liked it!! Thank you so much for stopping by!