Friday, May 29, 2009

Celebrating A Year of Pinks!

Happy Birthday, Pink Saturday!

While I am fairly new to Pink Saturdays, Beverly, at How Sweet The Sound, has been hostessing this event, seeing it through to a full year now. The number of new participants, hoping to join in on the fun, is on the rise! Old members and new members are all ready to celebrate, so let the festivities begin! What's a birthday party without a birthday cake? I made this just for the occasion! I know it's simple looking, but someday I'm going to take cake decorating classes, and I'm going to learn how to make ROSES!! I've always wanted to learn how to do that!

Next is my pink crochet gift to share with everybody today! "Quel Chapeau doux!" What a sweet hat! I took only 2 years of french in high school, but have been wanting to refresh my memory and french vocabulary, now that I can appreciate the language much more than I did back then.
I found various websites among others that help me to learn, remember, or translate English to French, or vice-versa! Here's something that lets you see (ha! ha!) and HEAR how "Quel chapeau doux" is said!

http://tts.imtranslator.net/4MLr

I thought this was fun! After this loads and you see how it works, you can translate anything you want, in any language you want!.. Spanish, Italian, etc.! Now, onto my free pattern! Hope you like it!


Quel Chapeau Doux!

What A Sweet Hat! Why? Because it's a cake! Perfect for a birthday, or maybe for tea!
(c) Pattern designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS) May 29, 2009
Pattern posted specially for "Pink Saturday", May 30, 2009
@ http://beansiebabbles.blogspot.com/

Materials needed:
Redheart Super Saver Acrylic Yarn, in Baby Pink, Light Raspberry, and White
Crochet Hook size H
scissors, yarn needle for weaving in ends
11 small silk roses (your choice of hot glue, or needle and thread to attach to hat)

Gauge: 2 sc= 1/2"

Size of hat: approx. sized for a teen or small adult, but pattern can be easily adjusted by change in stitch count where noted, or by changing the size hook being used.

Skill Level: EASY!

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
sk = skip
sl st = slit stitch
Rnd = Round
sc dec = single crochet dec
BLO = Back Loops Only
FLO = Front Loops Only

Note: At the end of each round, unless otherwise noted, sl st to the first stitch to join the round.

Rnd 1: Starting with Baby Pink yarn, ch 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each sc around. (12 sc)

Rnd 3: Ch 1, *sc in 1 st, 2 sc in the next st* around. (18 sc)

Rnd 4: Ch 1, *sc in 2 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, *sc in 3 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 6: Ch 1, *sc in 4 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 7: Ch 1, *sc in 5 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 8: Ch 1, *sc in 6 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 9: Ch 1, *sc in 7 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 10: Ch 1, *sc in 8 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 11: Ch 1, *sc in 9 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.

Rnd 12: Ch 1, sc in each st around. (66 sc) *Note: If a larger size is needed, now would be a good time to make the adjustment, by increasing as you see the pattern has been going. So the next round would go as follows.. *sc in 10 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.. and so on increasing for each additional round, until it is a fit you are looking for. (circumference of top should approximately equal measurement around your head).. An exact count of stitches is not necessarily important in following this pattern, so long as you achieve the shape, look and fit you want.

Rnd 13: Ch 1, in BLO, sc in each st around.

Rnd 14: Ch 1, back to working in BOTH loops again, sc in each st around.

Rnd 15-26: Ch 1, sc in each st around.

Rnd 27: Ch 1, *sc in 9 st, sc dec over the next two st* around. (60 sc)
Note: This is what I did for a more snug fit around the area of the ears, but it is not difficult to adjust, more, less, or not at all, at this point, depending on size/fit you prefer. This is just one more place where I can advise you to adjust size where most appropriate to do so in this pattern.

Rnd 28: Now switch color to attach white. Ch 1, in FLO, *sc in 5 st, 2 sc in the next st* around.
(70 sc)

Rnd 29: Ch 3 (counts as one dc), dc in same st, dc in the next 2 st. *2 dc in next st, dc in the next 2 st* around. (92 dc)

Rnd 30: Ch 3, dc in the next st, and in each st around. (92 dc) Fasten off, and weave in end.

Fancy Icing Decoration (for top side of "cake")
Using Lt Raspberry color, attach yarn to an unused loop, at Rnd 13, at the back of the hat.

Rnd 1: Holding hat with brim facing closest to you, ch 1, sc in the same st. Ch 8, sk 4 st, sc in the next st. *Sc in the next st, ch 8, sk 4 st, sc in the next st* around. (11 chained spaces)

Rnd 2: Turn hat around, so that top of hat is now facing closest to you. *Sl st into first ch space. Ch 1, sc, hdc, 6dc, hdc, sc, skip next sc, sl st into next sc* around. Fasten, but leave enough yarn to than sew/tack down fancy icing to the upper side of "cake"/hat. Attach silk roses, referring to the photo for placement, by hot glue or with needle and thread.. The choice is up to you. I used hot glue, since in the event I wash this, I would most likely wash it by hand in cool water, with mild soap/detergent.

Hatband Icing with Bow:
With Lt Raspberry yarn, ch 110. Sc in each chain across. Fasten off, and weave in end. Place just above the Hat Brim/Cake Plate, then tie ends into a bow.

And that's it! You can further embellish, if you so choose, with beads, laces, ribbons, etc. If making for a child, you could add ties. Use gray felt to make tomb stones for an "over the hill" hat. Fill plastic tubing with glittery confetti for a hatband, instead of a crocheted one. Have fun! See how many other ideas YOU can come up with! Enjoy!

Now make sure you head over to How Sweet The Sound, to see what PINKS the other participants have come up with today! It may take you some time, as the list keeps growing, but you won't want to miss any of them! Happy Pink Saturday!.. and till next time, "Adieu!"


41 comments:

Sally said...

Aimez le Chapeau de samedi Bon anniversaire Rose, le merci pour le dessin!!

Great link too Beanie, thank you!!

stefanie said...

ok, why do we all have yummi stuff for pink saturday, i am getting hungry. thanks for visiting me

Pam said...

What a pretty hat! Now when did you find the time to do that?? You are a beautiful person and beautiful crocheter.

~XOXOXO~

Pammy Sue said...

I have no idea why Blogger didn't identify me correctly on that last comment! (?)

Anyway...you know who I am!

maidenshade said...

Yeah, it's Pink Saturday's 1 Year Celebration! And look how perfectly your blog entry matches, nicely done. Can I have a piece of cake, please? A BIG one?

Today I've got Part II of For a Princess (with Part I recapped) - and as it is centered around a celebration, it fits perfectly what with all of the little princesses in their pink tiaras; ) I hope you can come by - I know you'll enjoy it.

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com
MaidenShade.com

Lynn said...

You've done it again, Beansie Baby! I took French in HS too.
Very sweet chapeau!

Beverooni said...

mmmm, cake!

I love the hat. Thanks for the pattern. I'm going to make one of these and make my kis and grandkids wear it at their birthday dinners. Ah, the pictures!!!!

Claudia said...

The cake is perfect! Happy Pink Saturday!

Lisa said...

How pretty!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs, Lisa

Leann said...

Thanks for making the cake for everyone to enjoy. I'm sure that it's delicious.

And I never took French, but the hat is darling too!

Enjoy your day!
Leann

♥Mimi♥ said...

There's just something about Pink Saturday that brings our the sweetness in people. Beverly sure knew what she was doing when she brought her concept to the world of blog.

Your offering for this FIRST PINK SATURDAY ANNIVERSARY is wonderful! This is the one day of the week where I can totally indulge my passion without spending a dime!

Thank you for sharing the pattern. Guess what I'm gonna make for my grand-daughter, Rachel☺

Wishing your and those you love a special weekend filled with sunshine and family fun!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That hat is one cute idea for a pink saturday party and post.

Julie said...

What a yummy and pretty cake! The hat is so fun looking. Have a beautiful PINK day!

Shana said...

Great hat Beansie!! great french too...lol! better than me!

Terri said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Cool hat. I just started crocheting thanks for sharing the pattern and the cake too. Happy Pink Saturday to you.

bj said...

Omigosh..that is the CUTEST hat I've ever seen. I love it!! You are so good at this.
I can do basic crochet but never learned much and sure don't know how to read a pattern. boo hoooo'
That is a great PINK cake, too...
xo bj

graciegirl said...

Beansieleigh
Thanx for your visit to my blog and your warm welcome.To answer your question, no the glasses are not depression,just bumped out.
I have to say the hat is very sweet, I would so were it!
Your cake decorating skills are just fine I can see my self at your table enjoying that lovely cake...I'll bring the cosmoplitains in the pink glasses.
A good week to you too.Tracy(Graciegirl)

susan said...

Your hat and cake are beautiful! I have never been able to knit anything real--I used to knit bandages for third world countries with our church, but that did not require much skill :) So glad you visited and found Jessie as adorable as we do! Please come again!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

The hat is beautiful...wish I knew how to crochet! Happy Pink Saturday ~ I hope you have a great weekend ~ Susan

gabrieladelworth said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

Is this cake real? Yummy!


~ Gabriela ~

Itajeff - Something To Share said...

Hi! tq for visiting me. The cake looks yummy and i love the hat, its gorgeous. Hope you had a great pink saturday.

Lots of luv,
Ita

Lara said...

what a pretty pink post! like a gift, for this pink celebration!

Robin said...

What a wonderful hat.....wish I knew how to crochet. And thanks for the cake....you know I can't resist cake but with everyone serving cake this weekend, I will have to go on a diet. :-)
Happy Happy Pink Saturday to you !

Marina Capano said...

What a wonderful hat!!!!!!!!!
Happy Pink Saturday Birthday.

xoxoxooxo

koralee said...

Wow...lovely post...now if is could only knit!! But i can eat and i would love a piece of that amazing pink cake!!! Happy Pink Saturday to you!!!!

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

I think your pink cake with the sugar letters is just beautiful! Happy Belated Pink Saturday and have a great sunday. ~ Lynn

Florida Sue said...

Well I am always a day late and a dollar short, but I just wanted to say I love your pink cake and that beautiful hat. I wish I had learned the art of crochet.

Jorgelina said...

The cake is perfect!
what a pretty pink post!
Happy Pink Saturday Birthday.

She'sSewPretty said...

Oh! That hat is so cute! I would love to try to make one. I'll have to save your pattern! Thanks for sharing!!

Sit-N-Chat said...

Beautiful hat and cake. So pretty. I wish I could learn to make this hat. You are very talented.

Have a great week.

Jennifer

Florida Sue said...

Hey Beansieleigh!

We actually live pretty much smack dab in the middle of the state. We are about 90 minutes from Melbourne, and way over to the other side, Tampa. Our little town is almost in Mt. Dora. Don't know why it is a "Mount". Flat as a pancake with a few hills! The rescue folks are all connected here, and this little dog was actually found wandering near Orlando. Our local contact here went to pick him up. The next time you visit your family, you should make a detour here to visit us!

Cheers,
Sue.

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

I was about to say that that looks yummy cause it reminds me of cake when in fact it is a cake hat just as you said! LoL

Thanks for sharing the pattern

Belated Happy PS!

Li

Kathy said...

A sweet pink cake! Thank you for the pattern for the darling hat. And also for the language link! Fun! Have a beautiful week...Kathy

Melody said...

So cute, I love that hat. Thank you for welcoming me to Pink Saturday....you girls are great.

Vanilla Lavender said...

Lovely hat! Have a great day!

Suzie Button said...

Wow, you made a real cake to celebrate! I wish I could have joined you for a slice, a cute hat too, but too advnaced for me! Happy Late Pink Saturday! Suzie

suesueb said...

the cake looks delicious and the hat adorable!! happy pink week (a bit late)

someplace in thyme said...

wow, I wish I could do that...happy pink saturday and sorry to be visiting so late, lots of blogs to visit this week, Char

Smilingsal said...

What a sweet hat! Good job! Happy Pink Saturday,

Deanna said...

Hi Beansie!
Lovely hat and Ooh la la the cake is divine!

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday
Deanna :D

kayellen said...

Happy belated Pink Saturday!!!What a fun post!!
your cake is yummy and hat is great!!

Thank you for your sweet comments...you are right letting go is the hardest part as a Mom:)

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Blessings to you,
KayEllen