Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Smoke-Free Anniversary!

Today marks my ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY since I've been smoke-free!!

No more, will I be making ANY of these little messes around my house!!

I don't mind setting one out for a guest, and I will never judge him for how he can or cannot quit; but you will never see me lighting up a cigarette ever again! I have kicked this habit to the curb!.. Now.. Do I think I've saved money by quitting? I can't imagine paying for them at what they cost now; but I can't say I'm saving any money either! The way the economy has been going, I am still just paying more, and more, and more for everything ELSE!

Do I FEEL better since I quit smoking?.. I have to say yes to this. To just climb a set of stairs, I do think my breathing has gotten better!.. And this is the first winter season I've gotten through WITHOUT a knock-down, weeks-long, doozy of a chest-congested, cough my head off, cold-n-flu condition of some sort! This alone did surprise me this year! Now I'm wondering how much I saved, not having to purchase all the cold and cough medications and doctor visits!

My advice to anyone who hasn't quit yet?.. Well, as a former smoker, there really are no magic words that are going to sway someone into quitting. My father would talk till he was blue in the face, trying to get me to quit, and it never swayed me an inch! Funny thing is, it seems to me that the ones who bark the loudest about the issue of smoking, suddenly don't have ANYTHING to say once I've actually QUIT!!

To all the friends and loved ones who are truly concerned about this, I understand, and truly appreciate the concern. Keep on caring! Some people need your love, friendship, an support much more than you might think! To all the big mouths out there, who think they can simply nag, bully, or shame someone into kicking the habit.. BACK OFF! Either support a person when (s)he is READY to quit, or find some other issue or crisis to wring your hands over!

If somebody is going to quit smoking, it has to come from within themselves! Something inside of them has to be strong, tough, and determined enough to get through this horrible addiction. For me, meds helped! The first few days are the hardest. A good deal of bed rest helped. Withdrawl is no different than being sick! Stay in bed, drink plenty of water, and just sleep as much of it off as you can till you feel a little better. I did this for the first few days; but you gotta get up sometime! So after those first few days, I found things to do, and just kept busy! This is what worked for ME. I won't pretend that it was easy! Everybody is different. No one method works for everybody. One thing is certain. It is just too hard to do alone. I don't care what anybody else thinks about that! Don't be afraid or embarassed to seek help! There are plenty of support groups and associations out there ready to help you in more ways than you might even think!.. no matter who you are, or where you come from! Just know that, when the time is right for you, you CAN do it!

I really am so proud of me! How will I celebrate my big milestone today?.. Hmm.. I think I may need to bake a cake!.. with LOTS of chocolate frosting! That sounds good to me!

19 comments:

Beverooni said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that is wonderful. My son has battled quitting for several years and so I know how hard it is to do it.

Beansieleigh said...

Thank you Bev! I don't know which would have come first.. a stroke, or smoking 2 packs a day instead of just ONE! And NO MORE MIDNIGHT TRIPS FOR CIGARETTES! Hooray!! I am so happy that monkey is off my back! Good luck to your son.. I hope he can quit too, when he's ready.

Luna said...

Hi sweetheart , it was nice to see your nice comment.English or Spanish it 's ok for me...I will understand my friends.Youa are doing great.....I have an ida for you.Down bellow you have a nice Doll Picture , why you don't make a cute dress for the doll yourself...? It would be nice if you make it...!Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend.

xo,xo,xo,xo,xo


Luna

lyn said...

Congratulations! I quit about 30 years ago. It was hard, yes, but I have never wanted to pick another ciggy up. Sometimes I dream that I am smoking again and I wake up in a panic! Noooooo! What a relief to find it was just a dream.
BTW your doll is darling! I wish I had one of my childhood dolls.
Enjoy your cake!
Lynn

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Lynn! Well congratulations to you too then! You know, it's funny how once in a while I will just out of the blue start reaching and searching the area around me.. and I catch myself.. and I'm sure you KNOW what I mean! I don't feel like I crave one necessarily, but I was definitely making the motions of looking for that pack of cigarettes!! It's funny, AND scary, to me how even still, and though it's very rare, SOMETHING still triggered me to act like I was still a smoker!

Beansieleigh said...

Hola Luna! I thought about it, and I just haven't yet. Maybe sometime I will, but you just have so MANY good things going on and posted at YOUR website, I've got a MILLION things I want to crochet!! I love the graphics you are sharing right now too!! Thank you so much for stopping by, and you have a good weekend too! ((Hugs!))

Simone said...

Well done on a year of being smoke-free! I agree that you can't bully people into giving up smoking. They will stop if and when they want to. Enjoy your celebratory cake!

Beansieleigh said...

Well this is a tactic someone has tried on me, and if you ask me, for one reason or many, I think it only made me smoke all the more! So his persistance was actually just a driving force behind my choice to KEEP smoking, and thus just putting more nails in my coffin! I chose to smoke, but he was NOT helping me AT ALL in the way he thought he was handling it, or perhaps even controlling me. Like I said, I was well on my way to 2 packs a day!.. Thanks for stopping by! Wish you ALL could have had some cake with me!

June said...

Congratulations on your quitting smoking for one year! That is a major accomplishment! As a person who is allergic to smoke (of any kind) I applaud you! You have not only done yourself a favor, but you have improved the health of those around you, probably unknowingly. Thank you!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi June! Well, I did not post this, at first, with any intention of preaching, or lecturing... I was just proud of myself, and wanted some CAKE!! But honestly, as I started writing this entry, I couldn't help but feel if my one little post helps one person in ANY way at all, that really would be all the MORE of a major accomplishment!! Thank you so much for your kind words, and for stopping by!!

Pammy Sue said...

That is truly a wonderful accomplishment...congrats!

Beansieleigh said...

To Pammy Sue.. Thanks! This is the second time I quit. The first time, I started smoking again in two months. I've been tempted, but now that I've gotten through a whole YEAR, I don't ever want to pick up even one cigarette; just out of fear alone of going through withdrawl-hell all over AGAIN! Now, I just try to keep my addictions limited to "The 5 Important C's".. Coffee, Chocolate, Cake, Cookies, and... CROCHET of course!! (0;

Pammy Sue said...

I want to see the yarn you got for the tote!

Beansieleigh said...

Well, I can post it in my "Pink Saturday" post! How's that? I will be making pink for myself, then purple for Princess Daughter!

Pammy Sue said...

I just posted the picture of the mystery purse...

Beansieleigh said...

Pammy Sue.. Oh my gosh!.. Very pretty! Love the pattern! Love the color!

MaidenShade said...

Yeah, great job quitting!!! I am 6 years quit in October, my hubby is 3 in June. CONGRATULATIONS; )

Yarnjeannie said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Beansieleigh said...

To Yarnjeannie.. Thank you!! It feels so GOOD to be free of that addiction! NEVER AGAIN! (0: Hope you're having a great weekend!

To MaidenShade.. Thank you, and Congrats to you and hubby too! I think this is the first time I have ever heard where BOTH husband and wife sucessfully kicked the habit! That is WONDERFUL!! Thank you for stopping by! Love that lampshade! I have been thinking of how I'd like to make one myself, but I'm open for WINNING one first! This one would go very nicely, so what a coincidence! I am putting my entry in, and crossing my fingers!!