Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Little Rain Must Fall

In recognition of National Poetry Month, this just seemed perfect for a day like today...

The Rainy Day
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The day is cold, and dark and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

As poor as I can find my hearing to be sometimes, I have no doubts that I could hear a pin drop today. The pets lie around as if a damp and dreary day can depress even them. But I have always thought the sound of rain was beautiful to listen to. So rather than watch a dreary, drippy scene out my window, I light a candle. I have no desire to hear a t.v. or radio in the background. I find a great sense of peace and tranquility this morning, just to take in the sounds of the drip-drip-drop of our little April showers. "What can compare to your beautiful sound".

In this rare moment of undisturbed peace, I planned for a project I might want to make, and perhaps share here, as we observe Earth Day tomorrow. I did finally come up with an idea for something I have always wanted to try, but just never made the time to. Now feeling inspired, I did a little research for a basic "how-to", gathered my materials, and I am about ready to start!

In closing today, if it is raining where you are as well, try to remember... "Life is like a rainbow. You need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear."

0 comments: