Saturday, March 21, 2009

Well, Hello My Spring Dolly!





Hello Dolly, Well Hello Dolly!
It's so nice to have you right where you belong!

Here she is! My entry for the "Little Madness In the Spring Rag Doll Challenge"! I have named her "Alliebean". Her body is made of cloth, of course, as guidelines were set; but my truest, comfort zone is with crochet, surrounded by all my hooks and yarns, so I crocheted her outfit for this event. I am including my own original pattern for this dress today, if any fellow participants would like to try to make one like mine, or for any of my readers who would like to make one for any of their own similar sized doll!

Oh but WHERE are my manners?! We were just introducing Alliebean, weren't we?! Well, I just couldn't decide on only one photo of her! The theme of this event was SPRING, so...

Photo No. 1: Here is Alliebean in a spring setting, enjoying the fresh air, and joined by some little woodland creatures who are as happy to see Spring as the rest of us! Her skirt is designed with panels of long green leaves, with silk roses applied to each one. I loved choosing just the right lace and trims for my new doll! They are all hand-sewn to the outfit.

Photo No. 2: Won't you join little Alliebean for tea with me?! Apparently we have another guest joining us! Well, that's just wonderful! We're happy to have ALL our visitors today!

Photo No. 3: Here you can see the back view of my doll's outfit, if my dear Allybean will pardon us for just the moment.

Photo No. 4: Peek-a-boo! We couldn't resist an early Easter Egg Hunt!

This was such great fun! We do hope you enjoyed having tea with us today, and are having fun traveling through Blogland to see all the other wonderful new doll friends being introduced today! Oh, if you need directions getting around, to see all the new Spring Rag Dolls, make sure you stop at Blithe and Blonde, and look for City Girl Em's link list to find everybody who is participating today!

Now, if you are interested, here is my very own original crochet pattern for the outfit you see on Little Miss Alliebean!...

Well Hello Spring Dolly Dress
(c) Written and designed by Beansieleigh (TS) March 21, 2009

Level of Difficulty: intermediate, perhaps, but beginners can certainly give it a try!
Size: made for a cloth doll of approximately 10-inch height
Gauge: 2 rows/rounds of sc, using white = approximately 1 cm.

Materials needed:
Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn, in white
Red Heart Super Saver in, light sage
Crochet hook, size F
Various laces, ribbons, and trims, as you would prefer
Silk roses for the skirt and at the collar
Buttons: not used here, but if preferred
Hot glue was used only to apply silk roses
Threads, Needles, Scissors

Directions:
Starting at top of Blouse: With white baby yarn, chain 13.

Row 1: Sc in each ch across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: 2 sc in each st. (24 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: *Sc in first st, 2 sc in the next* for this row. (36 sc) Ch 1, turn.

Row 4: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 5: Sc in 6 st, 2 sc in each of the next 6 st, sc in the next 12 st, 2 sc in each of the next 6 st, sc in the next 6 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 6: Sc in 6 st, ch 5, sk 12 st, sc in next 12 st, ch 5, sk 12 st, sc in the last 6 st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 7: Sc in each st and ch across. (34 sc)

Row 8: In FLO, 2 sc in first st, sc in each st across, 2 sc in last st. (36 sc) Ch 1, turn.

*Note: You are now starting the skirt of your doll's dress.

Row 9: Back to working in BOTH loops again, ch 3 (counts as first st), dc in next st and in each remaining st across. Turn.

Row 10: Ch 3, 2 dc in first st, dc in next 2 st. *2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 st* across. (48 dc) Turn.

Row 11-13: Ch 3, dc in each st across. (48 dc) Turn.

Row 14: Ch 3, dc in same st, dc in next 2 st. *2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 st* across. (60 dc) Turn.

Row 15: Ch 3, dc in each st across. Fasten off, and weave in end.

Sleeves:
Now holding dress upward and rightside facing yourself...

Attach white yarn to the 2nd st "under the arm", to start a sleeve.

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc in first 4 st, hdc in the next st (where you can see here, you're starting the top ruffle of the shoulder area), 2dc in each of the next 10 st, hdc in the next st, sc in last st. Join round with a sl st to the first st.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in 5 st, hdc in next st, dc in each of the next 18 st, hdc in next st, sc in the last 2 st, sl st to join the round.

Rnd 3: Ch 1, sc in 6 st, hdc in next st, dc in next 16 st, hdc in next st, sc in last 3 st, sl st to join.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in 4 st, hdc in next st, *dbl-cro dec over the next 2 st* 9 times, hdc in next st, sc in the last 3 st, sl st to join.

Rnd 5: Ch 1, *sc dec over next two st* around.

Rnd 6: Ch 1, sc in this first st, ch 4, sc in same st, *ch 4, sc in next st, ch 4, sc in same st* around; ending with a chain 4, then sl st to first st to join the round. Fasten off yarn, and weave in end. This completes your little ruffly-puffly sleeve of the dress! Proceed to do exactly the same for the second sleeve.

Collar: Attach white yarn to the first st of neckline. Repeat crochet edging exactly as you did for Rnd 6 of the sleeve (But do not join yet.) Fasten yarn, but leave a long enough yarn tail to now sew the back of the dress together.

*Note: You may choose to add snaps or buttons for this dress, for your own purposes and style of doll, but for the design and shape of this doll in particular, I felt it best to just sew the dress on permanently.

Skirt: (worked in 9 panels of green "leaves")
Ch 11, hdc in 3 ch from hook, and in next 8 chains. (Hdc, ch 1, hdc, ch 1, hdc) in next st. Now working down other side of chain, hdc in 9 st. Fasten off, weave in end.

With one long strand of green yarn, sew your panels of leaves together (from flat end to pointed end for only 9 st up. See photo.) to form the outer skirt of your doll's dress. Fasten any yarns and weave in ends.

Now, attach green yarn to either end of the long flat edge of the skirt, so to now start the waistband of the skirt. Ch 1, crochet 4 sc across the flat edge of the first leaf, then proceed to crochet 4 sc across each leaf for the remainder of this row. (36 sc) Ch 1. turn.

Row 2: Sc in each st across. Fasten yarn, leaving long enough yarn tail for sewing both short ends of green leaf petal skirt together. Sew skirt over and onto doll's dress, using the unused loops of stitches in Row 8 of dress, as a guideline for placement as you sew. Fasten off yarn(s) and weave in any ends.

Well, there you have it!! The basic pattern for this dress! From here, the fun of embellishing is all up to you! I got out all my lace, ribbons, trims, silk roses, and various color threads to add to my own design. For ideas to help you out though, I will tell you that I used a 5/8" ribbon, hand sewed that onto the top of the waist band with basic needle and thread, then tied and sewed a big, pretty bow at the back. I used lace and a fine floral trim to attach to the white bottom edge of the doll's dress. I sewed a very small length of 1/8" silk ribbon, made into a bow at the collar, and I used a total of 10 silk roses for the entire dress (one for each leaf of skirt, and one for the collar, each applied with hot glue). Enjoy!




13 comments:

Faith said...

She is absolutley lovely.....I wish you were my neighbor next door.....we could have such fun..love the colors...I didn't even get started...I made several feeble attempts at the doll body...but didn't feel well all week and it hit me yesterday....have not felt like doing anything at all...but sleep... Maybe I can catch it another time..
She really is precious....

Faith

meandering pearl said...

How wonderful!!! Sring roses to wear at tea time, we would love to have some with you! :) such a sweet dolly, really lovely work!

City.Girl.Em said...

OMG! She is just fantastic! I love how you created a crocheted dress for her! It's beautiful...you did such a lovely job. Thank you for participating in this callenge. You certainly have met the challenge!

I did post your link up on the list. I'm sorry about that.

EM

Nancy said...

What a beautiful dress on your doll. She looks great. Thank you for the dress pattern.

cherished*vintage said...

Alliebean is darling! What a fabulous dress you crocheted for her. Thanks for sharing the pattern you created - I need to learn how to crochet! ;o)
-Karoline

Shean said...

Alliebean is wonderful. I love her dress and her rosy cheeks. Happy Spring.

Aunt Pitty Pat's Fun said...

Oh my Alliebean is adorable.. I just love her stunning little dress with the lacy ruffles :)

Beansieleigh said...

Oh my gosh, everybody.. This was so much fun! Emily, if you ever host another one, please to let me know, and count me in!! I'm fairly new to "Blogland", so I just LOVED meeting all of you and your new dollies today! Thank you all for stopping by here, and for your very nice comments! Please do come by again, when you can, and I look foward to dropping by your places too! Have a great weekend! (0:

Lynn Guinn said...

You definitely win the "Best costume" category!
I love your doll.

Beansieleigh said...

Oh Lynn... Thank you! I'm so flattered and proud, I'm blushing! Now stop, or I won't be able to "avoid letting the fame go to MY head"!! (0; This was fun! Hope we can do this again sometime!

Faith said...

Thank you pal....for the good wishes and the prayer....appreciate it...

Faith

Cupy said...

Ya know I do believe you are the most talented lady I know! What a great job on the doll! I loved all her setings in the photos. I would be privileged to have tea with Alliebeans! Great work my friend!!!!

Cupy

Beansieleigh said...

Cupy! Thanks for "stopping by" to see!! Yes, the kid at heart is right in her comfort zone, playing with her dollies!! I had so much fun making her too though! I'm already thinking, I may have to someday soon make a little friend for Miss Alliebean!! (0: