Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Pat Preparations


I am getting ready for the big day! I went to the market this morning to pick up my corned beef and fresh potatoes. I made a double batch of sugar cookie dough, chilling in the refrigerator for baking tomorrow. Some Irish soda bread is sounding good to me, so I think I will be baking that as well. This year I read a recipe for potato-custard pie. I'm thinking about trying that out, if I can find the time... SOMEWHERE! Here it is, if you'd like to try it too...


Irish Potato Custard Pie

from the Irish kitchen of Beansieleigh!

Mix the following ingredients:

* 1 cup mashed potatoes

* ½ cup cream (milk may be substituted)

* 2 eggs, well beaten

* 3/4 cup granulated sugar

* 2 Tbsp butter

*1/8 tsp salt


Directions:

Brush inside bottom and sides of an unbaked 9" piecrust with egg white to help prevent a soggy crust. Pour custard mixture into the piecrust. Lightly sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 400 degrees, for between 25 to 35 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes clean out of custard center, and crust is baked and browned. Cool on a wire rack. This makes one large custard pie. Sweet potatoes may be used the same way. Meringue is also an option, if preferred. You may certainly choose to add a little green food coloring while mixing your custard ingredients, for a fun St. Patrick's Day dessert!! Enjoy!



I've got our Irish music CD's out to listen to, and my green clothes picked out for the day! (which reminds me, I STILL wish I had a pair of those shoes, like the ones Simone got, in her "Linden Grove" January 31st post!! Now THOSE were some beautiful GREEN shoes, if I remember right! Oh well, the style will probably be white canvas sneakers for the day here!

As you can see, my little craft basket holds some of the supplies and materials I've been using this past week for this year's St. Patrick's Day projects! Now last week I was seeing squares in my sleep, wasn't I? THIS week, I'm definitely seeing GREEN! I wish it was the green I could run to the bank with, but I'm pretty happy enough with the goodies I'll be showing you very SOON!

I LOVE the holidays!!

2 comments:

Simone said...

My shoes may be great to look at but no good for dancing!!! Enjoy St Patrick's Day!

Beansieleigh said...

Oooooh... Say it ain't so!! Well, dinner and a movie at least, I would imagine? LOL!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too! Have fun, whatever you do! (0: