Monday, March 16, 2009

ALL Me Little Shamrocks!




The following words are said in an old Irish ballad, "The Wearing of the Green", written by an unknown author in 1798:

"And pull the shamrock from your hat, and throw it on the sod But never fear, 'twill take root there, though underfoot 'tis trod. When laws can stop the blades of grass from growin' as they grow And when the leaves in summer-time their color dare not show Then I will change the color too I wear in my caubeen But till that day, please God, I'll stick to the Wearin' o' the Green."

In times long ago, it was believed that wearing green clothes in spring would attract fairies to protect the crops.
The words in the song above, speak of the repression of that time period, during the Irish Rebellion. A shamrock was worn in the "caubeen", was a symbol of rebellion, and the color green was considered the same, as it became the official color of the Society of the United Irishmen. Wearing the revolutionary insignia was a crime, punishable by hanging.

Well, the countdown is on, and I'm lookin' over ALL my 3-leaf clovers! One day, I found a wee little pattern,
adorable as it is, over at Suzie's blog, for a crocheted 3-leaf clover. I made one. I made two. And I just RAN with it from there!! When all was said and done, I had made a total of 37!

The shamrock, or three-leaf clover, linked to Ireland by Saint Patrick, may be seen on many a
lapel or corsage; but history more seriously recalls how not only was the shamrock embraced by Irish Nationalists. It was later, during the First World War, that the motivation of the Irish regiments in the British army seemed to improve when allowed to wear their shamrocks! Isn't it interesting, the history behind a simple clover?!.. what it really meant to people, and what I'm sure it still means a great deal today!

During the past week, I'm happy to say I came up with not only the hat
you see, which is inspired by the one I found here, but the rest you see in this post as well.... A little fabric, six crochet shamrocks, glittery shamrock tulle and fun foams, scrap lace, a few buttons, some hand sewing along with the help of my sewing machine, all went into embellishing a simple $3.00 bag, found on clearance at my local Walmart!! How much fun and satisfaction I found it THAT!!! I like to have ALL "my stuff" with me at ALL times, so a BIG bag is just my style!! It would be easy, or perhaps preferred, to decorate a smaller purse for the holiday, as simply or elaborately as you would like; and I KNOW that the Walmart in my neighborhood still has plenty of purses and bags just WAITING to be purchased at prices you can't beat! Even my son just said to me, "You gonna make one for Easter, too, Mom?" Ha! The kids are onto me! They know me TOO well!

Ya know? It's funny how my daughter laughs at me for being able to take a scrap of fabric, and somehow
I'm able to stretch it and make a number of things from it! When I first found the glittery shamrock netting, I saw the nearly $8.00/yd. price tag on it, and walked right on by! I just didn't NEED it that badly. Well as I was got first making my hat, I then thought I just couldn't do without it! So, I went back to the store, and frugally bought 1/8th of a yard! I cut from that the amount I needed not only for the band on the hat, but the boutonniere as well! I added me little shamrock to the boutonniere, I did, and now I've got a hat that I think any sassy Irish lassie would like! Ya think so?!!

O.K., I still have some of this glittery shamrock netting left to use, so now I've got a hankerin' to make jewelry! I cut out two small shamrocks
from the netting, glue them onto flat marble-like decorative/aquarium gems, such as seen here, using E600 glue, a craft staple I could not possibly live without! When the glue was completely dry, I then painted the back of the marble white. When that dried, I then clipped one side of a small paperclip, and glued that onto the back of the marble, again with E600. When a couple more coats of the acrylic paint, and a final coat of clear nail polish, were applied and dried, I then just attached my chain. Often I prefer to crochet a choker for this kind of thing, but the marble is a heavier pendant, for which I prefer a chain. Anyways, a very inexpensive, but very pretty accessory for the holiday, I think! I made one for my daughter; and aye, one for meself too, of course! See the snowman I've done for the winter season? Well, here all my jewelry hardware was out, and I thought let's just do this one more piece. I've always wanted to make myself a thimble necklace! I finally got around to it! You must forgive me for the novice photography-taking skills I possess, and the editing program I do not have as of yet! This photo was the best I could do. To see these up close would be so much better, but we work with what we have here, right?

Oh! Now, would you believe I STILL have a 15 x 4" piece of the glittery tulle netting left to use? I love it! How many things have I made with just that 1/8th of a yard so far? Three?.. No, four!... A hat, a bag, and TWO necklaces! And I know I'll find something to do with what's left of it I'm sure!


Next, back to my crochet clovers, I had used only 7 of them so far. I remember back in February, I was so happy with a Valentine garland I made, that I knew ahead of time I wanted to make a garland for St. Patrick's Day too! I used my remaining 30 clovers to make that! I really liked that I was using up a lot of green scrap yarns in that particular tangled-up collection of leftover stash! I was happy to clean up that little mess as I went along! Now, when you look in the photo, you can also see the larger plastic canvas Shamrocks I hung at the ends of my new garland,
which I had made last year! I liked how they ended up tying in nicely together with my new garland!

Well, there you have it, ALL me little shamrocks, and some ideas to share with you! I hope you liked them, and can find the time to make something before the big day gets here! If not, maybe now you have a couple crafty new plans for next year! For today's post, and while many versions actually exist, I leave you with the song I spoke of today, in it's entirety:


"O Paddy dear, and did ye hear the news that's going round?
The shamrock is by law forbid to grow on Irish gound!
No more Saint Patrick's Day we'll keep, his colour can't be seen
For there's a cruel law against the Wearing of the Green."

I met with Napper Tandy, and he took me by the hand,
And he said, "How's poor old Ireland, and how does she stand?"
"She's the most distressful country that ever yet was seen,
For they're hanging men and women there for Wearing of the Green."

"So if the colour we must wear be England's cruel red
Let it remind us of the blood that Irishmen have shed;
And pull the shamrock from your hat, and trow it on the sod
But never fear, it will take root there, though underfoot 'tis trod.

When laws can stop the blades of grass from growing as they grow
And whem the leaves in summer time their colour dare not show,
Then I will change the colour too I wear in my caubeen;
But till that day, please God, I'll stick to the Wearing of the Green."

5 comments:

Faith said...

You've been a very busy lassie.....love it all....the bag intrigues me, especially. I'm a bag lady....I can go w/o sock & undies...but I need my bags and blouses......

Beansieleigh said...

Well, I certainly have some things around the house to do, and I will do my baking as soon as I bring my DS home from school! Enjoy your Irish Dinner tonight! I may try to fit some more READING in now, then by Wednesday, I will probably start on my rag doll.

Faith said...

Tis' a fine day here in Ohio...A grand day for our 142nd Irish Parade in downtown..Will be a wee bit warmer today....some lovely little green sprouts of crocus did I see today....Tis a grand day.....

I got to finish up the lassie, and work on her sleeves...she is about 2 years old now..been off me game for a while...I have only done the dress so far...I am off my game this week...

Happy and Blessed St Patricks day to you...

Faith

Sally said...

I'm effen lovin yer hat lady!!!
Your blog is really coming along great....very entertaining!!! Great job...on EVERYTHING!!!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, THANK YOU, Sally!! I'll do my best to keep it up! The holidays are BIG to me... I LOVE them!! In time, any reader/follower of mine, will KNOW this!!... And oh boy... Hippity, Hoppity, Easter's on it's way!!! (0: