Friday, February 20, 2009

Privy Preserves


Every year, I look forward to canning, or "putting up" as they used to say, homemade goods. I've done tomatoes, jellies, bread -n- butter pickles, and picalilli! The "process'' is not for everybody, and understandably so. It's very time consuming, and it definitely makes for a good-sized mess to clean up! People question the cost of the jars, and if it's all really worth it....

Well, it IS to me! I love it. I take pride in it... and I KNOW what went into it. For the creativity in many of us, it can even be fun to whip up a combination of homemade flavors and goodies, all to revel over our very own original new flavors/recipes!... something we can't find in a store!!... Maybe a blue ribbon at the county fair awaits!!... We may stock up, and keep what we make; or we may adorn them with doilies, ribbons, and tags with the intention of gift-giving! Then, of course, in a time when we're realizing the necessity of "going green", I feel I am doing my part by using the same jars over and over again. I am not buying any more, or throwing any away! For anyone who is thinking of trying it for the first time, it is not likely that YOU would nessarily HAVE to buy new jars. It is entirely possible to simply find them at any garage/estate/church sale, and for practically a song!... Expense does not have to be a factor that disenchants you from at least trying it out, and seeing for yourself. How did I learn home canning? I took a night class with my sister!! It was fun! We learned to make salsa that night!

Well anyways, I was recently cleaning out my kitchen hutch, where I store all of my treasured
homemade canned goods, when I realized that amongst them were odd-lot jars, old cans, and
even a piggy bank just setting side by side with my beautiful jellies and sauces!! Now I admit, I am hardly the type to worry my head over the "feng shui" school of thought by any means! And as hard as I still could dare to dream of how much fun it might be... I don't foresee my home ever being laden with wall to wall cameras and photographers, in bustling preparation to spread my sense of decorating style all over the next issue of Better Homes and Gardens!! But, I looked at my pretty little kitchen hutch and thought, "I really don't like this"... "This isn't right", I remember whining... Why, (uh oh, here it comes!) "It looks like the 50-cent table at a
neighborhood garage sale!!!", I cried... tearing that wretched clutter out of there!

Time to clean it out, I thought. Still, perhaps, I can pretty-it-up a bit!! And so it is HERE that I
was inspired with the idea for the set of patterns that I will be posting in the days ahead. My
imagination just flew, and in fact inspired me to make OTHER items that I will post LATER!! So, my gosh!!... If you like to crochet, and you like free patterns... and "feng shui" doesn't DICTATE every last item in your home, then please, make sure to keep stopping by to see what's new! Just below, you'll find the first part/installment of my new set of patterns. I just love these, and have already gotten a good response, just at home, about them... so I hope you like them too! A matching potholder, and handsoap cover will follow next!


Privy Preserves: AKA, Cunning Canning Jars?
(c) Designed and Written by Beansieleigh (TS), February 10, 2009

These are made by recycling coffee cans , and by crocheting cute but clever cozies to hide your coins, spare keys, sewing/quick mending supplies, love letters (Ha!).... or if you're like me, perhaps your private stash of candy! (0;

Skill level: Intermediate/some experience suggested; but simple single and double crochet
stitches are used throughout this pattern, so perhaps a confident beginner could tackle this one!

Materials Needed:
Red Heart SS Acrylic Yarn (less than a skein for each "jar"), color of preserves, your choice(s).
Red Heart SS Acrylic Yarn (small amounts white for each "top" and each "label").
Large "canning jar" is made with a 34.5 oz. coffee can, cleaned and dried.
Small "canning Jar" is made with a 13 oz. coffee can, cleaned and dried.
Size G crochet hook; Scissors; and yarn needle for sewing and weaving.
Ribbon is optional.

Gauge: Each 2 rounds of single crochet equaled just about a 1/2".

Abbreviations Used In this Pattern:
ch = chain
st = stitch
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
dc = double crochet
rnd = round
BLO = back loops only
FLO = front loops only

Instructions:

Large Canning Jar:
With white yarn first, beginning at the top of your "canning jar", ch 3, join with a sl st to form a ring.

(*Note: You will begin each round with a Ch 1; and finish each round with a sl st to the first st of
each round, unless otherwise instructed.)

Rnd 1: 8 sc into the ring.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around.
Rnd 3: (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) around.
Rnd 4: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 st) around.
Rnd 5: Sk first st, then sl st into the next st. Sc in each st around, including into the sl st made
at the beginning of this round. Sl st to join round. (32 sc)
Rnd 6: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st) around.
Rnd 7: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 st) around.
Rnd 8: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 st) around.
Rnd 9: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 st) around.
Rnd 10: Sk first st, sl st into next st, ch 1. Sc in same st, and each st around, including into
sl st made at beginning of this round. (64 sc)
Rnd 11: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 st) around.
Rnd 12: (2 sc in next st, sc in next 8 st) around.
Rnd 13: Sc in each st around. (80 sc)
Rnd 14: In BLO, sc in each st around.
Rnd 15: Crocheting in BOTH LOOPS again, sc in each st around.
Rnd 16: Sk first st, sl st into the next st, ch 1. Sc in each st around, including into the sl st
made at the beginning of this round. Join with a sl st to only the front loop of first st of this round.
Rnd 17: (sc in 3 st, ch 1, sk next st) around. (*Note: Here you are making holes to weave ribbon
or chain of yarn for the woven and tied bow.)
Rnd 18: In FLO, 6 dc in first st, sc in next st. (6 dc in next st, sc in next st) around. Fasten off,
and weave in end.
Rnd 19: Attach yarn, in chosen color of "preserves", to any back loop from Rnd 18. Ch 1, sc in
each unused back loop around.
Rnd 20: Back to crocheting in BOTH LOOPS, sc in each st around.
Rnd 21-22: Sc in each st around.
Rnd 23: Sk first st, sl st into the next st, ch 1. Sc in same st and eac st around.

Continue to repeat pattern of Rnds 19-23, until you reach the bottom of your coffee can. While
this is not necessarily important, if gauge is accurate, you should finish with Rnd 42. Fasten off,
and weave in yarn end.

Tie:
You may choose a desired length of purchased ribbon, but I chose to go with yarn. If using
yarn for the top of your jar, then ch approximately 120 (more or less, to preference); then weave
through Rnd 17, to have both ends meet at front of jar to tie a bow.

Large Canning Jar Label:
Ch 8.
Rnd 1: sc into second ch from hook and into next 5 st. 3 sc in next st; then working opposite
side of the chain, sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in the last st, join with sl st.
Rnd 2: ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st,
sc in next 5 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st. Join round with sl st.
Rnd 3: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 7 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in
next 7, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, join round with a sl st.
Rnd 4: sc in same st, ch 3. (sc in next st, ch 3) around. (24 ch 3 loops made).
Fasten yarn, leaving a long enough yarn tail to applique label. But FIRST, embroider the word
"Jelly" onto your label. You may choose to use embroidery floss, but I preferred to split a 4-ply
strand of yarn into a two-ply strand to embroider with. Once I finished this, I then sewed the
label onto the front of my canning jar, fastening off and weaving in the end of my yarn.

Finished, you may now, as you would a cozy or a pullover sweater, just slip your canning jar
over the top of your covered coffee can.... (Oops! Don't forget to stash whatever goodies
you had in mind!... and don't tell anybody!).... Enjoy!


Small Canning Jar:
With white yarn first, beginning at the top of your "canning jar", ch 3, join with a sl st to form a ring.

(*Note: You will begin each round with a Ch 1; and finish each round with a sl st to the first st of
each round, unless otherwise instructed.)

Repeat Rnds 1-7 of Large Canning Jar.
Rnd 8: In BLO, sc in each st around. (48 sc)
Rnd 9: Working in BOTH LOOPS again, sc in each st around.
Rnd 10: (Sc in next 3 st, ch 1, sk next st) around, ending with a ch 1, then joining with a sl st
to complete the round. (thus now making holes for weaving tie through later.)
Rnd 11: In FLO, sc in first st, 5 dc in next st. (Sc in next st, 5 dc in next st) around. Fasten off,
and weave in yarn end.
Rnd 12: Holding your "canning jar" upside down, right side towards yourself, attach new color
of yarn/"preserve" to any unused loop from previous Rnd 11. Sc in each unused loop around.
Rnd 13-16: In both loops again, sc in each st around.
Rnd 17: Sk first st, sl st in next st, sc in each st around, including into the sl st made at
beginning of this round.

Repeat pattern of Rnds 13-17 till you reach the bottom of your coffee can. Again, while
this is not necessarily important, if gauge is accurate, you should finish with Rnd 32.
Fasten off, and weave in yarn end.

Tie:
You may choose a desired length of purchased ribbon, but I chose to go with yarn. If using
yarn for the top of your jar, then ch approximately 90 (more or less, to preference); then weave
through Rnd 10, to have both ends meet at front of jar to tie a bow.

Small Canning Jar Label:
Ch 6.
Rnd 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in next 3 st, 3 sc in next st; then working on opposite
side of chain, sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in next st, join with a sl st.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in first st, sc in next 3 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next
3 st, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, join with sl st.
Rnd 3: (sc, ch 3) around. Fasten yarn, leaving a yarn tail long enough for sewing label onto
your canning jar. But FIRST, embroider the word "Jam" onto your label. You may choose to use
embroidery floss, but I preferred to split a 4-ply strand of yarn into a two-ply strand to embroider
with. Once I finished this, I then sewed the label onto the front of my canning jar, fastening off
and weaving in the end of my yarn.

Voila!!.... Slip your "Privy Preserve" canning jar over the top of your small coffee can, as
you did with the large one! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Faith said...

This may be a duplicate....but better two than none...Thank you for looking up the cranberry chutney receipe...maybe the acid in the cranberries preserve it? I'll have to get some made, he keeps asking....Your blog is interesting....adding you on my good buddies list...love the crochet can covers,so
pretty and right up my alley....when I get a free moment I will give your blog a reading over...have to work today and tomarrow too:(
have a great day...thank you for visiting me..lets talk canning some time....I need a canning buddy too..... Faith

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Faith!! I'm glad you "stopped by"!!
I was a little concerned that people would wonder about "a duplicate", and I know what you would be referring to, but mine is a different item, a different size, with an entirely different purpose; so they are NOT the same thing... But props to the other, as I'd still like to try that one! Anyways, yes, we'll have to talk sometime! Sounds good to me!