Monday, February 16, 2009

A Pattern for Good Measure!


Measuring Spoons Bookmark
(c) Designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS)
February 15, 2009

A cute little teaspoon and tablespoon bookmark, for your favorite cookbook!... OR, if you are giving a cookbook for a special occasion, what a sweet accompaniment would this be?!

Skill Level: Beginner
Gauge: Not important
Finished size of teaspoon: Approx. 3 and 1/2" long.
Finished size of tablespoon: Approx. 4".

Abbreviations:
ch=chain
sc= single crochet
hdc=half double crochet
sl st= slit stitch

Materials needed: Small amounts of scrap acrylic yarn(s), Size G crochet hook,
3 (9x6mm) pony beads, a small (1/2") plastic ring, and a yarn needle for weaving in ends.

Instructions:

Starting with your teaspoon:
Ch 2.

Rnd 1: 6 sc in second chain from hook, sl st to first st to join the round.

Rnd 2-3: Ch 1, 2 sc in each st around, join.

For handle, ch 11. Hdc in second ch in hook and in each remaining chain, for a total of 10 hdc.
Fasten, but leave a tail of yarn long enough for weaving and sewing. Join last hdc with a sl st
to the nearest st in the last round of the spoon-part of your teaspoon, being careful of placement
so that handle will set straight. Weave yarn through handle so to now sew the other end onto your plastic ring. Now fasten off and weave in end. Proceed to tablespoon.

For your tablespoon:

With same color yarn, or another of your own preference, ch 2, and repeat Rnds 1 and 2 of your teaspoon.

Rnd 3: (2 sc in next st, sc in next st) around.

Rnd 4: Sc in each st around. (18 sc)

For handle, ch 12. Hdc in second ch in hook and in each remaining chain, for a total of 11 hdc.
Fasten, but leave a tail of yarn long enough for weaving and sewing. Join last hdc with a sl st
to the nearest st in the last round of the spoon-part of your teaspoon, being careful of placement so that handle will set straight. Weave yarn through handle, so to now sew the other end onto your plastic ring, just behind the teaspoon. Now fasten off and weave in end.

Finishing your bookmark:

Attach a new yarn, in color of your choice, to ring. Crochet a chain of any length,
perhaps 40 or 50, or depending upon the size of the cookbook you intend to use your bookmark with. Fasten at desired length, leaving a tail of yarn to now thread pony beads, and then to add a pompom, tassel, charm, or other embellishment.

Enjoy!
(c) This pattern designed and written by Beansieleigh (TS), February 15, 2009

19 comments:

studioodd said...

what a cute cookbookmark!!!

nawlinsjanet said...

See, I told you that you had the makings of great designer! This bookmark proves it! Thanks for sharing. Love the blog!

Beansieleigh said...

Janet!! I'm so glad you came to see!! Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and for your kind words!! I am having so much fun with this; and God willing, I look forward to sharing many more patterns with you and all my ATCT friends. ((Hugs))

Beansieleigh said...

studioodd, Thank you for posting your comment! I am so happy to hear you like it!!

yarn_lady said...

Thanks for the lovely idea and pattern!

Beansieleigh said...

To Yarn Lady: Hello! I see we are BOTH new to the blogging scene! I will be sure to peek in on yours as often as I can! Have fun with it, and thank you for your kind words here!

Sally said...

Oh this is an AWESOME bookmark!!!
Your blog is really coming along nicely!!
I'm linking some of your patterns in my forum HappyHooker A Crocheters Paradise on yuku. Hopefully you'll get more blog followers from it!! Thanks for the great patterns!!

Beansieleigh said...

Ooooh... You are making me blush!! Thanks so much Sally!! Good to hear from you again, and I'm happy to hear you like the bookmark! It was a fun little idea!

tisme said...

What a great idea! I want to make one for my sons girlfriend. She is a dietician working on her masters in nutrition. She will love it!
Thanks so much for the pattern.
Tammy

Beansieleigh said...

Tammy, I'm so happy to hear this!! I do hope she likes it! Thank you!!

Cathy said...

Love your site. I went to another link from your and put your's and it on my favorites. Didn't know there was site on here like this. Thank you.

Jane said...

I absolutly love your blog. I have bookmarked it. What a great job you have done. Thank you for sharing the spoon bookmarks pattern. I will give them a try! I will be back.

Anonymous said...

i belong to a weight watchers group.I have lost about 102 pounds in almost 2 years.We focus on measuring and servings.I was so glad to see your pattern.Will make a few and give to the girls at meeting.
thank you again

Carol N said...

This is a fabulous, easy pattern to make to give with a cookbook gift. TFS

Bring The Needle Down. said...

I love it! I just made it. I posted a link to the pattern on your blog! I posted a photo of the finished work among other projects!

Caren Franco said...

i found your pattern via Ravelry when i was looking for a spoon pattern. a friend of mine is a "spoonie" (someone with chronic illness that uses "spoons" as units of measuring her energy, first attributed here - http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/), and i told her that if i could, i'd share some of my spoons with her. and now that i found a spoon pattern, i'll be making her some spoons for her birthday next month. thank you for a great little pattern!

Carrisa Klasen said...

I love this pattern! I was searching for a spoon pattern for a spoon swap for my ra group and came upon this!thank you!

Carrisa Klasen said...

I looked up this pattern for the same reason! I looked it up for my ra group :)

Carrisa Klasen said...

I love this pattern! I was searching for a spoon pattern for a spoon swap for my ra group and came upon this!thank you!